Parishes | Schools | Priests | Masses |
More in this section MAIN MENU

Basilica of St. Mary Star of the Sea

History

The oldest parish in the Archdiocese of Miami, the second oldest in Florida, declared and listed as a National and State Historical Site in 1989, Saint Mary Star of the Sea was established in 1846 when Florida was still a Spanish territory. Some indications suggest an earlier founding date 1724 when a Cuban missionary briefly served the area until 1727. Afterward, a priest was only able to visit Key West once or twice a year. The first recorded Mass was celebrated in 1846.

After arriving in 1851, Father John F. Kirby built the area’s first Catholic church, dedicated in 1852 to Saint Mary Star of the Sea, bounded by the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico. A school followed in 1858. Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary led the educational mission for 115 years.

The division caused when St. Bede Parish was established in 1970 was healed by a merger in 1986.

Besides the Victorian Gothic church, dedicated in 1905, other sacred places are the Lourdes grotto and the Chapel of Divine Mercy (the renovated convent chapel), where parishioners offer perpetual adoration of the Blessed Sacrament.

St. Mary Star of the Sea es la parroquia más antigua de la arquidiócesis de Miami, y la segunda más antigua de la Florida, y en 1989 fue declarada Lugar Histórico Nacional y Estatal. La iglesia fue establecida en 1846 cuando la Florida aún era territorio español, pero existen indicios de que fue fundada mucho antes, en 1724, cuando un misionero cubano sirvió brevemente en el área hasta 1727. Más tarde, un sacerdote sólo podía visitar Key West una o dos veces al año, y la primera misa de la que se tiene conocimiento fue celebrada en 1846.

Después de su llegada en 1851, el Padre John F. Kirby construyó la primera iglesia católica de la zona, dedicada en 1852 a Santa María Estrella del Mar, rodeada por el Océano Atlántico y el Golfo de México. A esto le siguió una escuela, establecida en 1858, y las Hermanas de los Sagrados Nombres de Jesús y María estuvieron a cargo de la misión educativa durante 115 años.

En 1986 sanó la división que causó el establecimiento de la parroquia de St. Bede en 1970 cuando ambas se unieron. Además de la iglesia gótica victoriana, dedicada en 1905, otros lugares sagrados son la gruta de Lourdes y la Capilla de la Divina Misericordia (la renovada capilla del convento), donde los feligreses ofrecen adoración perpetua al Santísimo Sacramento.

Pi ansyen pawas nan achidyosèz Miyami-an e dezyèm pi ansyen an nan tout eta Florida. An 1989 yo deklare li kòm yon Plas Istorik Nasyonal e pou Eta Florida. St Mary Star of the Sea te tabli an 1846 pandan Florida te toujou yon teritwa espayòl. Dapre kèk moso listwa yo panse li ka te fonde depi pi lontan toujou-1724- etan yon misyonè kiben te sèvi nan zòn nan pandan yon ti tan jis an 1727. Apre sa, se yonn ou de fwa chak ane sèlman pè te gen posibilite vizite Key West. Premye mès ki anregistrea te chante an 1846.

Apre li te rive an 1851, Pè John F. Kirby bati premye legliz katolik nan zòn nan ki tekonsakre bay St Mary Star of the Sea, sou yon bò li te gen osean Atlantik la ak Golf Mexiko sou lòt bo-a. Yo bati yon lekòl an 1858. Kèk mè ki te soti nan kongregasyon Holy Name of Jesus and Mary te dirije misyon edikasyon-an pandan 115 lane.

Separasyon ki te fèt la lè yo te tabli pawas St. Bede an 1970 te repare lè legliz yo te tounen vin fè yon sèl ankò an 1986. An plis legliz la ki genyen yon achitekti Gotik e ki tekonsakre an 1905 genyen tou Gròt Lourdes la ak Chapèl Divine Mercy (chapèl kouvan-an ki repare), kote pawasyen ofri adorasyon pèpetyèl devan Sen Sakreman-an.

Church Directory